Creating a feature wall in your home with Original Style tiles - advice from the tile experts at our Welling store
Here at Tilemates Welling we find many of our customers visit our showroom looking for the perfect tiles to create a feature wall.
When it comes to adding a tiled feature wall, Original Style is hard to beat – both for quality and the sheer range of styles, colours and materials on offer. Read on, for style advice to help you select the right tiles for your project:
Why add a feature wall with tiles?
First, using wall tiles can create a really striking feature in any room within the home – the options are virtually endless and enable you to make a unique addition to your space.
As well as being visually appealing, wall tiles are also a really practical choice in bathrooms, utilities and kitchens, where they will protect walls from splashes behind baths, showers, sinks or hobs.
In general, to maximise the effect, we would recommend choosing feature wall tiles which somehow contrast with the other three walls to ensure that they stand out – either in a different tone or shade or perhaps with a different surface finish or glaze, such as pearlescent, metallic, high gloss or flat matt – although of course this is purely down to personal preference.
A feature wall in the bathroom
For practical and aesthetic reasons, the placement of feature wall tiles is ideal for the area behind a bath, sink or shower cubicle. The tiles will protect from water splashes and will also highlight an attractive focal point.
Suggestions for bathroom feature wall tiles:
* Add subtle texture and oriental style with matt white relief tiles, to create a zen bathroom in which to relax.
* Mosaic tiles are available in a huge selection of materials, surface finishes and colours – in particular the lustre of Original Style’s pearlescent glass tiles will add a pretty effect to a glamourous bathroom scheme.
Kitchen feature wall inspiration
Placement of tiles behind a hob or sink area will provide protection against splashes, however, you may wish to use a plainer tile here, allowing for the feature wall to be used in a larger quantity to frame an area or denote a sociable space, in a kitchen-diner, for example.
* Create a patchwork effect with an eclectic mix of patterns influenced by Persian textiles, Morocco ceramics, Turkish kelim rugs, French tapestries and Andalusian pottery – a truly dazzling way to add character to your kitchen!
* Original Style offers a huge selection of patterned and geometric wall tiles inspired by Victorian designs. On-trend geometric designs will enhance a Scandi kitchen scheme whereas more intricate patterns will boost a traditional kitchen style.
Not forgetting dining rooms, living rooms and bedrooms!
Although there is less of a practical need for wall tiles in these rooms, stylistically a feature wall can still be very effective and transformative. Consideration should be given to feature wall placement in relation to the positioning of large furniture, windows and architectural features, such as doorways and fireplaces.
Here are some style suggestions:
* The sheeny patina of metallic steel-effect porcelain tiles will look dramatically gothic and glamorous in bedrooms and dining rooms.
* For an understated, organic style, Original Style’s new grey-toned Ash Tree Clapboard textured glazed ceramic tile is ideal for living rooms and dining rooms.
Visit your local Tilemates store for stylish tiles and vinyl flooring
With five showrooms located across the South East – in Brighton, Crayford, Petts Wood, Tunbridge Wells and Welling – at Tilemates we offer our customers a fantastic selection of ceramic, porcelain and glass mosaic tiles for floors and walls. In addition, our Welling and Tunbridge Wells stores also supply an extensive range of high quality vinyl flooring from renowned manufacturers Karndean and Amtico. Our showroom teams will be happy to offer the benefit of their experience and expertise with choosing flooring or wall tiles for any interior project.
To find out more about our range of tiles and vinyl products, please speak to a member of the Tilemates team at your nearest store:
Brighton: 01273 412000
Crayford: 01322 555453
Petts Wood: 01689 878667
Tunbridge Wells: 01892 514004
Welling: 020 8303 4023
Chessington Head Office: 020 8397 6284